[Sca-cooks] cheese scones

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Mar 15 16:18:13 PDT 2013

Cailte replied to me with:
<<< Sans puddings (i.e. white and black) due to budget.  I am working with the freezer this weekend. LOL!  When we were at the B and B in Ireland, he 'tasted" them, and I ate them.  He's pretty omniverous tho… >>>

Oh? I thought puddings were relatively cheap to make. Although admittedly, many items that used to be cheap and almost cast-offs, are now quite expensive because they are now the "in" thing. Skirt steak and chicken wings being good examples. Blood might be the same.

<<< Why not some soda bread for Mum's dinner?  Easy to make.  Or some scones?  With, of course (if available near you) Kerrygold Butter. >>>

Lol. Yes, after I wrote my message I got online and started looking at recipes. And cheese soup and cheese fondues are some items I'm considering. Also cheese scones.

Does Kerrygold Butter taste different from "regular" butter? My store has a lot of different butters. I don't remember whether this is one of them.

But many of the scone recipes have directions like "MIX first 4 ingredients in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in Cheddar."

What does that bit about cutting in the butter with pastry blender or 2 knives, mean? Why two knives instead of one? What is a pastry blender? Is that the thing with a handled and a series of parallel crescent shaped blades?

Is the whole idea to mix the ingredients but coarsely/crumbly?

Thanks,
   Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com