[Sca-cooks] C.A. translation and organization questions

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 2 21:28:00 PDT 2013

Eduardo replied to Urtatim with:
<<< On order - The translations MUST be kept in the original order! Seriously the order in which they appear is as much a part of the corpus as the order of the sentences. >>>

Okay, I will agree if these are in a separate section. However...

<<< That being said if you are doing modern redactions of some of the recipes (not all) and they are at the back of the translation you could put them into modern courses or sections but WHY? >>>

For these, I prefer for them to be in the "standard" appetizers, salads, main dish, side dish, dessert order. Or at least grouped in similar groups, because I am likely to pick up the cookbook to find a particular type of dish, such as a vegetable, or a main dish, or a dessert for a revel or party.  And we are often asked to bring a particular type of dish so that the pot luck doesn't end up being all main courses or all desserts etc. I really don't wish to flip through the entire book looking to find each of the vegetable recipes.

I do like to have a direct link, by page number or manuscript recipe number or something like that, back to the original and/or the translation. I am unlikely to look at the original first, but if I'm reading a redaction and I see something I think is unlikely, I often will look back at the original to see if the redactor made a reasonable substitution or not. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Maybe I'm mis-remembering and the Norse did have lemons and chocolate. :-) No, not something I'd expect from Urtatium. But there have been a few authors…

Sometimes the author substitutes black pepper for long pepper. Okay but I *have* long pepper, so sometimes I do a reverse redaction. :-) But I like to have the original to check things against.  And again, I don't want to have to go find another book or search each page of the book I have.

Stefan
(If you've been on this list long enough, you do pick up some things.  But I'm still not confident enough to do redactions from the original recipe or translation, so I prefer to start with a redaction.)

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris