[Sca-cooks] local feast disappointment

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 7 08:55:47 PST 2013

So, in my area, it has been a mixed bag of people doing period meals. Some of the baronies are really good about focusing on period cuisines, while others for years, weren't.

My own Barony for many years, didn't bother with it and I ended up trying different things to prove that period food was easy, accessible and worth the effort.

I went to meetings and basically was a broken record (hopefully in a nice way) and volunteered to provide period foods at events. I think I did two or three small baronial events where I just provided small meals for royals and court...I think that the first one I did that was Viking, made an impact.  Over a two year period of various food related sharing the sentiment changed. While we haven't done a feast yet, we now have a yearly culinary contest for period food and a culinary guild (not all done by me, which is really great getting others involved).

Just baby steps, but in the right direction. :)

--Mercy

Sent from my iPhone
Please excuse any typos or odd autocorrection errors