[Sca-cooks] Local Feast Disappointment

Beth Harper lyndyn29 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 20:40:42 PST 2013

I've been watching this thread develop, and I'd like to offer a little bit
of a different perspective... maybe a more hopeful one.

I've been on the fringes of SCA cooking for almost fifteen years, but
really only active in it for about five. I think that a desire for
authenticity and scholarship is growing, not lessening. It may be a cyclic
thing that I haven't been around long enough to see the full cycle of, and
it's certainly a thing that varies from place to place, but period food
research, in the Outlands at least, is just FLOURISHING.

The bar of entry is lower than it's ever been - there's really no excuse
anymore (other than flat-out lack of desire, which is at the heart of what
Urtatim is objecting to in the original post) to NOT cook a (marginally, at
least) period feast or potluck dish. I teach an intro to recipe redacting
class and an intro to cooking manuscripts class that are both based
entirely on manuscripts that are readily available, on the Internet, in
English translation, for free, and those classes are very well-received and
a ton of fun. And with the lower bar of entry, there are more people
willing to at least try - to start - and that means more people who will
continue on to do higher-level research and presentation over time.

And there's a trend in popular culture, more broadly, toward "foodie-ness"
- paying more attention to quality and sources of food, novelty, affordable
access to more varied ingredients. I live in the back of nowhere and I can
get ingredients I used to have a hard time finding in a major metropolitan
area. People are more willing to try unfamiliar things. I think that's one
of the factors making it easier for cooks to get event stewards onboard
with the idea of delivering higher-authenticity feasts. (This is not
speculation; I've had conversations with several cooks who have had this
very experience over time. I've been lucky; the event steward I'm teamed
with has been absolutely committed to supporting my research and period
cooking endeavors from the beginning of our working relationship.) It's
definitely encouraging people to be more daring with cooking entries in A&S
competition.

I think that what's happening is not that there's less desire for
authenticity, but that what I think of as the "LARP/reenactment divide" in
the SCA as a whole, and in the food community particularly is just really
visible, and really contentious, at this point in time. It's unfortunate
when ugly things get said across that divide, because the SCA has always
had room for both. For myself, I'd like to see the trend arc toward greater
attention to research, greater sophistication and authenticity, and it's
encouraging to me to see, not just amazing teachers and leaders (yes, Gwen
Cat and Aldyth, I'm looking at you) but especially lots of other talented,
passionate up-and-coming cooks who seem to feel the same way. They are out
there, really!

In service,

Liepa Jonaite
Outlands