[Sca-cooks] Local Feast Disappointment

Antonia di Benedetto Calvo dama.antonia at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 13:12:09 PST 2013

On 12/11/2013 4:01 a.m., Daniel Myers wrote:
> Note that everyone attending an SCA event is required to make "an
> attempt" at medieval costume.  They don't have to be particularly
> accurate, they just have to try.
>
> I don't see any reason that those cooking a feast for an event shouldn't
> be required to make an attempt at cooking medieval food.  It wouldn't
> have to be from any one time or place, it wouldn't have to use fancy or
> rare ingredients, it wouldn't even need to be particularly accurate.  It
> would just have to be an attempt - the food equivalent of a T-tunic.

I don't like the word "required" exactly, but I'm mystified by any cook
who wants to cook in the SCA but has no interest in Medieval food.  I
just see it as part of the package-- we try to have medieval clothes,
medieval music, medieval combat, medieval games, medieval crafts... why
wouldn't we try to have medieval food?  I think that around here we have
a pretty strong expectation that food at events will be at least
plausible/perioid-- and sometimes some of us have a laugh by Googling
feast menu + the name of kingdom which I omit to protect the guilty.

Antonia