[Sca-cooks] The great Medieval water myth

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Nov 23 20:36:12 PST 2013

I believe that "natron," both in modern usage and in medieval Islamic
usage, is a mixture of carbonates. The medieval islamic source was dry
lake beds in Egypt.

Nasrallah describes it as one of the two sorts of boraq, which she
translates as "borax," presumably correct etymology but not correct
chemistry.

On 11/23/13 6:11 AM, Terry Decker wrote:

> per ENHG: erhalten = obtain, sustain
>
> **Erhalten can also mean "continue, go on" which I suspect is the
> meaning here in reference to being a cook.
>
> therefor all the water/ which has a sour/ sharp/
> over-salted taste/ as of sulphur and Nitro
> (soda?)/ it is harmful and unhealthy to use as a
> natural drink.
>

> Ranvaig
>
> If the word being used is "Natron," it's an obsolete reference to
> sodium in the general and sodium carbonate in the particular.
> Modernly, he would likely use the word Alkali in reference to a
> mineralized water possibly containing such nasty alkalis as arsenic.
> The tap water in Reno, while safe to drink, is an example.
>
> Bear

David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com
http://daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/