[Sca-cooks] The great Medieval water myth

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Nov 23 21:43:55 PST 2013

In modern German, the correct word is das Natrium or das Natriumkarbonat.
Natron is the obsolete form.  Borax is der Borax, das Natriumborat, or
borsaures Natrium.

Since the word in question is actually Nitro, Ranvaig's comment that it and
Natron are cognates is probably correct.  Modernly, Nitro is a combinative
form of Nitrat, but nitrates in solution are colorless and odorless, thus
that usage does not fit the context.  Rumpolt was using Nitro to describe a
specific taste from a soluble substance in water.  Modernly, such a solution
would likely be rendered das alkalinisch Wasser which would taste of Alkali.

Bear