[Sca-cooks] C.A. translation and organization questions

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 2 20:16:24 PDT 2013

Sorry, i get the list as a Digest, which hasn't come yet, but i glanced at the three responses in the SCA-Cooks archive. I'm sure i'll have more thoughts when i get the digest.

As for the number and order of the modern worked out recipes...

A C.A. is limited to 60 pages, unless one is doing it in 2 volumes, which is not my current plan. I have to see how many pages the commentary, translations, notes, bibliography, and indices take up before i know how much room i'll have for modern versions of some of the recipes. Definitely not going to do them all, i just don't know how many at this time.

The options for placement i see are (1) after the originals or (2) in a separate section. I am leaning toward a separate section.

Next, they could be (1) ordered by main ingredient (modern), (2) ordered by style (Arabic), or (3) kept in the same order as the originals, which might be confusing... or not... I am leaning toward a modern ordering, since i won't be working out all of them. If i wanted to, which i don't, it would probably add another year to the publication.

All recipes, original and modern, will retain their manuscript page numbers.
Modern recipes will include the original names to help reduce confusion.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions

Keep them cards and letters comin' in, kids!

Urtatim