[Sca-cooks] 1682 Polish cookbook

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Nov 26 18:28:00 PST 2013

It's not the oldest of course. That honor belongs to another work.
From my culinary bibliography on Poland which was published in 2012--
"The first known edition is circa 1535-1547. KUCHMISTRZOSTWO printed in Krakow by Hieronym Wietor. Anonymous translation from the Czech."

As to this volume--
Czerniecki, Stanisław. Compendium ferculorum albo Zebranie potraw. snipped  ISBN 978-83-60959-01-5

This is the first volume in the series Monumenta Poloniae Culinaria. Besides the original recipes, the work includes essays on Polish food history, a glossary of culinary terms, and a subject index. A selection of the recipes from the volume along with a biography of the author has been published in the following work:

Sekrety Kuchmistrzowskie Stanisława Czernieckiego: Przepisy z Najstarszej Polskiej Książki Kucharskiej z 1682 Roku. Edited by Jarosław Dumanowski, Andrzej Pawlas, and Jerzy Poznański. Warszawa: Muzeum Pałac w Wilanowie, 2010.
See also Jarosław Dumanowski on “Stanisław Czerniecki. The First Cook of the First Commonwealth;” appearing at:http://www.wilanow-palac.pl/stanislaw_czerniecki_the_first_cook_of_the_first_commonwealth.html and Monumenta Poloniae Culinaria http://www.historiakuchni.pl/index.php/monumenta-poloniae-culinaria/53-monumenta-poloniae-culinaria
The third volume has been announced as: Kucharz doskonały or “Cook perfect" from 1783. Work continues on additional volumes.

 Johnnae