[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Nov 27 08:01:50 PST 2013

Our Thanksgiving tomorrow will be the two of us, our daughter Rebecca
(currently involved in planning her first SCA feast for a few weeks from
now), my elder son Patri, and my two grandchildren.

The fun part of the dinner is the triple turkey judhaba. For those not
familiar with it, Judhaba is a medieval Islamic dish that consists of
layers of thin bread, sugar, and in some versions fruit, baked
underneath a roasting chicken (or sometimes some other sort of roast),
so that the drippings go into the judhaba. We've done, in the past,
banana judhaba, apricot judhaba, peach judhaba (not in al-Warraq, but we
had peaches), and a plain judhaba, one without fruit.

This time we plan to roast the turkey over a large oval pan with three
judhabas in it. Probably one will be in a container sitting in the
middle of the pan, one on one side of that container, one on the other,
to more or less separate them. Banana, apricot, and cranberry. Betty
doesn't like bananas, so they will probably go in the container to keep
them from contaminating the other two.

For some reason al-Warraq failed to include a cranberry judhaba among
his recipes, but we'll fix that.

--
David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com