[Sca-cooks] Imbolc Feast Ideas? (cheese)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 2 20:30:46 PDT 2013

Faerisa asked:
<<< Our Barony is hosting an Imbolc themed 12th Night(ish) event this year and when our head cook picked my brain for feast ideas, we found the pickings were slim.  He's currently looking at incorporating fresh cheese & butters with breads plus some fire roasted meats.  Thanks in advance for any other suggestions. >>>

So, you are looking for early period items? Or later, 12th Night ones?

By "fresh cheese" are you talking about non-aged cheeses and butters?

If so, see these files in the Florilegium FOOD-DAIRY section:
fresh-cheeses-msg (75K) 4/28/13 Fresh cheeses such as cream cheese and cottage cheese. Non-aged cheeses.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/fresh-cheeses-msg.html

Are you wishing to buy such cheeses or to make them? I've heard that the latter if fairly easy and I have these files in that section:
Cheese-Making-art (30K) 9/29/97 "Cheese Making for the Compleat Novice" by Lady Aoife Finn.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/Cheese-Making-art.html

bag-cheeses-art (18K) 9/ 5/05 "Making Simple Bag Cheeses / Cheese inPeriod" by Lord Jakys the Chesemonger.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/bag-cheeses-art.html

On butter:
butter-msg (201K) 3/ 3/11 Period butter. Making butter. Butter churns.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/butter-msg.html

Some other dairy products which might also fit into what I think you are wanting to do:
clotted-cream-msg (36K) 12/15/04 Clotted cream products. Devonshire cream.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/clotted-cream-msg.html

dairy-prod-msg (116K) 8/17/09 Dairy products. milk, butter, curds, cream.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/dairy-prod-msg.html

Some other cheese items that might fit with roasted meats, but not necessarily on bread:
larded-milk-msg (20K) 11/ 8/05 Larded milk. A fried, fresh cheese dish.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/larded-milk-msg.html

baked-cheese-msg (20K) 3/ 8/07 Period baked cheese dishes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/baked-cheese-msg.html

cheese-soups-msg (24K) 9/26/09 Period cheese soups. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/cheese-msg.html

The common SCA dish from Digby is not early, but there are other, melted cheese dishes.
cheese-goo-msg (44K) 10/31/06 Digby's Savory Tosted cheese. melted cheese.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/cheese-goo-msg.html

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com