[Sca-cooks] Imbolc Feast Ideas? (roasted meats)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 2 20:45:53 PDT 2013

Faerisa asked:
<<< Our Barony is hosting an Imbolc themed 12th Night(ish) event this year and when our head cook picked my brain for feast ideas, we found the pickings were slim.  He's currently looking at incorporating fresh cheese & butters with breads plus some fire roasted meats.  Thanks in advance for any other suggestions. >>>

I just send some info on cheese and cheese dish possibilities. Here is what I have on roasted meats.

I assume you are wanting to roast these meats over an open fire?

If you are really, really adventuresome, and I have heard of these being done outdoors, with snow on the ground, how about roasting a whole pig?
whole-pig-msg (66K) 4/18/05 Info. on roasting a whole pig. Experiences.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/whole-pig-msg.html

Cooking-Piggy-art (5K) 9/27/01 A humorous adventure cooking a pig.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/Cooking-Piggy-art.html

spit-roasting-msg (20K) 12/ 7/09 Period spit roasting of meats. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/spit-roasting-msg.html

A bit less adventuresome:
Carbonadoes-art (14K) 6/19/97 "Carbonadoes" by Adamantius. A medieval barbecued" meat dish.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/Carbonadoes-art.html

carbonadoes-msg (38K) 12/22/08 Broiling meat on a gridiron previously slashed to increase the cooking speed.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/carbonadoes-msg.html

roast-chicken-msg (39K) 8/31/00 Period and SCA baked or roasted chicken.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/roast-chicken-msg.html

roast-meats-msg (92K) 1/16/08 Hints and period recipes for beef roasts.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/roast-meats-msg.html

roast-pork-msg (60K) 1/21/07 Cooking pork roasts. Medieval recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/roast-pork-msg.html

skewred-meats-msg (8K) 9/11/05 Period meat dishes cooked on skewers.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/skewred-meats-msg.html

Of course if you are wanting to do more exotic meats than beef, chicken and pork, I can point you to some files on cooking more exotic meats, many of which can also be done on open fires, and I haven't mentioned any fish dishes, either.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris