[Sca-cooks] Local Feast Disappointment

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 6 17:53:35 PST 2013

Recently the menu for a popular local feast was posted on FB. I had cooked that feast several times in the past - in fact it was my very first feast - and i always used period recipes, even for my first feast. This menu was of chiefly non-period dishes, organized in "removes". (in the past number of years, this feast has chiefly featured non-period food - one of the instigators behind this event year after year - a triple peer - claims to not care about period food - not that it is icky, just doesn't care. Seems odd to me from a Laurel.)

I posted a link to Dame Alys Katherine's 1996 article, "Of Course, It's 'Course' or Remove 'Remove' " - SRSLY folks, 17 years have passed! Don't we learn anything? The cook replied that she had seen me post the link before, she'd read the article, they were still "removes", and she uses electricity and flush toilets. I can't find the post, or i'd quote it; perhaps someone suggested she delete it. I certainly intended NOT to reply.

But I did find this disappointing. I guess i am mistaken in thinking that the SCA is supposed to be an educational organization. Or perhaps some people use "remove" just as a nose-thumb to those of us who prefer to use historical terms - and recipes.

I generally don't go to non-period feasts, so i won't be there. Rather, I am looking forward to another feast a week later, but much much farther away from me, that will be period, and head cooked by Cariadoc's lovely daughter Rebecca.

Urtatim (that's oor-tah-TEEM)