[Sca-cooks] A food challenge

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Oct 8 04:37:46 PDT 2013

Ok if you start with A Proper Newe Booke of Cokerye. 1545

medievalcookery.com and Thomas Gloning list four menus so if you use those you can construct a menu using the online
versions.

http://www.medievalcookery.com/notes/pnboc1575.txt
http://www.uni-giessen.de/gloning/tx/bookecok.htm

First Course:
Potage or stew; Salad; Pigs' feet
Sliced powdered (salted) beef; Shoulder or breast of mutton; Veal; Lamb
Custarde
So here I suppose either beef or veal and either lamb or mutton.

leaving a first a First course
Potage or stew; Salad; Pigs' feet
Sliced powdered (salted) beef;  Lamb
Custarde

Second Course:
Roasted capon; Roasted conies; Roasted chicken; Roasted pigeons; Roasted larks
Pigeon or chicken pie; Baked venison
Tarts

Well ok just choose say roasted chicken and perhaps the venison if you have it.

There are some pretty simple recipes like this one from APNBoC
To bake Veneson.

Take nothynge but pepper and salte, but
lette it haue ynoughe, and yf the Veneson be
leane, larde it throughe wyth bacon.

Service for fyshe dayes ends with
Tarts; Cheese; Figs; Raisins; Apples; Pears; Blanched almonds

You'd have to watch as to which of these had been used earlier.

Johnnae