[Sca-cooks] Feast in Nithgaard (State College, PA) Sept. 14, for Henry V's birthday

Alexander Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Sat Sep 7 00:09:42 PDT 2013

This is the latest on an event I mentioned here a few months ago.

I've been planning a feast for a little event we're having next
Saturday to celebrate the Shire of Nithgaard's 36th birthday, and the
627th (but who's counting) birthday of Henry V of England. The menu is
based on menus from about the time of the reign of Henry V. It could
still change, for example if I don't find a good deal on venison, but
for now the menu goes a little something like this:

Le .j. cours.
Brawn wt mustard.
Furmentee wt Venysoun.
Mammenye.
Kyde.
Fesauntys.
Blaunche Braun.
Tartee.
Vn sotelte.

Le .ij. cours.
Venysoun en brothe.
Vyaund ryal.
Chykonys farce.
Venysoun Rostyd.
Lech lumbarde.
fflampayne.
Vn sotelte.

Le .iij. cours.
Datys in Compost.
Creme Motley.
Quaylys.
Pomez endoryd.
Braun bruse.
Longe ffrytourys.
Payn puffe.
Pomys en gele.
Vn sotelte.

It's looking like it will be a rather small event, and we'll be making
only a small amount of each dish. There's still room for people to
help eat the feast, or even perhaps to help cook it. If anyone is
interested the full announcement is at:

http://www.aethelmearc.org/eventinfo.php?event=854

This is my first time going for a full three-course feast. I tried a
two-course feast a few years ago, but had to cut it down to a single
course when the event was nearly canceled for freezing rain.

The main models for the menu are the 1417 feast for John Chandler,
Bishop of Salisbury (or Jackie Chandler as I like to call him), the
1425 feast for John Stafford, Bishop of Bath and Wells, and a feast
for jousts hosted by Henry IV. These are in Austin and the Noble Boke
off Cookry. I also consulted (among others) the fish-day menus for the
coronations of Henry V (1413) and Catherine of Valois (1421) and for
Richard Fleming, Bishop of Lincoln (1420), and a feast for Trinity
Sunday that seems to be about the same age. Due to a limited budget
(on-board reservations are only $10 plus site fee) I will be passing
up the chance to serve some interesting period foods such as swan and
pigeon. Otherwise the menu would have been a bit longer.

Now it's coming up in just a week. How will it come out? The suspense
is killing me! I can't wait, I'll just have to take my time machine
forward and find out. :-)

--
Henry/Alex