[Sca-cooks] Feast in Nithgaard (State College, PA) Sept. 14, for Henry V's birthday

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Sep 7 22:18:28 PDT 2013

Henry mentioned:
<<< I've been planning a feast for a little event we're having next
Saturday to celebrate the Shire of Nithgaard's 36th birthday, >>>

Do you know where the name of your shire came from? What does it mean? I don't think I have it detailed in the Florilegium and it doesn't seem to be on your shires webpage. For instance, here is what I have on other group names:
placenames-msg (110K) 10/ 4/00 Origins and meanings of SCA placenames. Pt. 1

placenames2-msg (106K) 8/11/10 Origins and meanings of SCA placenames. Pt. 2
placenames3-msg (40K) 8/ 6/11 Origins and meanings of SCA placenames. Pt. 3

If you can write me, or find someone who can, I'd love to add it to this last file.

<<< The menu is based on menus from about the time of the reign of Henry V. >>>

I know what a few of these are and can guess at others.  But I think a lot of people might enjoy it more if they knew what they were eating. Unless the idea is to disguise what this is. So, while keeping the original names is fine, please consider adding translations.

<<< Le .j. cours.
Brawn wt mustard.
Furmentee wt Venysoun.
Mammenye.
Kyde.
Fesauntys.
Blaunche Braun.
Tartee.
Vn sotelte.

Le .ij. cours.
Venysoun en brothe.
Vyaund ryal.
Chykonys farce.
Venysoun Rostyd.
Lech lumbarde.
fflampayne.
Vn sotelte.

Le .iij. cours.
Datys in Compost.
Creme Motley.
Quaylys.
Pomez endoryd.
Braun bruse.
Longe ffrytourys.
Payn puffe.
Pomys en gele.
Vn sotelte.  >>>

What do you have in mind for the 3(!) sotelties? Although I do understand here that you might wish this to be a surprise.

It does sound like the carnivores will be happy.

Thanks,
  Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com