[Sca-cooks] Ingredient Puzzles in al-Warraq

Antonia di Benedetto Calvo dama.antonia at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 17:01:57 PDT 2013

On 13/09/2013 6:57 a.m., David Friedman wrote:
> Many thanks. Fascinating.
>
> But I still don't know what samidh is. Nasrallah says it is "fine
> flour, bran free, high in starch content, and low in gluten." Perry
> says it is coarsely ground, which is inconsistent with only the "fine"
> part of Nasrallah's description. So what modern flour would fit the
> description?

To tell you the truth, I always assumed it was this kind of stuff. It's
finer than other semolina but still coarse compared to flour.
http://www.poloristorazione.it/ita/prodotti_scheda_prodotto.php?pid=09981146&tipid=1631&mid=0811

I haven't experimented with it in ibn Warraq's recipes, but have used it
to make more modern items like khobz ad-dar.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo