[Sca-cooks] Kanz: First olive recipe

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Sep 27 13:42:28 PDT 2013

Galefridus commented on his latest olive curing research with:

<<< I've only gotten about a sentence or so into the first olive cure in the
Kanz al-Fawa'id, but that one sentence is very interesting. I've looked
at dozens of olive cures from antiquity to the 14th century, and found
only one that came even close to using lye. All of the rest have used
something else to accomplish the cure. But this first recipe from the
Kanz calls for lime -- not the fruit, but the mineral. I'm pretty
excited about this discovery -- hopefully I'll have time to complete the
translation over the next few days and see where it goes! >>>

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. So far, I've not tried to find raw olives, but we will see.

I actually tend to prefer stuffed olives to plain olives, especially those stuffed with blue cheese or feta cheese. Has anyone seen any evidence of stuffed olives in period? I assume not with pimentos, though. :-)

For those who might have missed some of the previous discussions on olives and olive curing, see these files in the FOOD-VEGETABLES section of the Florilegium:
More of Galefridus' research:
Olive-Curing-art (19K) 5/19/13 "Curing Olives: Six Methods" by Dom. Galefridus Peregrinus.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/Olive-Curing-art.html

Olive-Cul-Hst-art (41K) 3/ 7/11 "The Olive – A Cultural History" by HL Biatrichi di Palermo.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/Olive-Cul-Hst-art.html

olives-msg (61K) 3/ 7/10 Period olives. Processing fresh olives.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/olives-msg.html

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com