[Sca-cooks] What period foods were/weren't recommended for pregnancy?

Saint Phlip saintphlip at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 18:47:12 PDT 2013

As I remember, several years ago we were discussing a recipe suggested for
pregnant women that suggested ingestion of horse manure.

Anyone remember who or what that was from? I think it was discussed around
the first time we were discussing the recipe from Alys Katherine for bull
penis.

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Karen Lyons-McGann
<karenthechef at gmail.com>wrote:

> A lady presented a paper on this at the Wst Coast Culinary Symposium in
> 2012, I do not recall her name or have access to my papers, maybe someone
> else who went can look it up?
>
> Bonne
>
> On Monday, September 2, 2013, wrote:
>
> > Aldebrandino of Siena has a chapter on this, in which he recommends
> > chickens, red wings, other small birds, easily cooked foods, eaten in
> small
> > quantities and often, drinking good wine with a little water. To ease
> their
> > appetite, pears, pomegranates, sour apples, as well as potions including
> > ginger,
> >  mastic, zedouary, cinnamon, nutmeg, long pepper, sugar; another with
> > linseed,  violets, barley, camomile and other ingredients.
> >
> > Le Régime du corps, de maître Aldebrandin de Sienne
> >

> http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k6458299v/f160.image.r=femme%20ensainte
> > .langEN
> >
> > More in the text for anyone who wants to hunt down the more corrupt
> > references.
> >

> > Jim  Chevallier
> >
> > Comparing early and late medieval food in France
> > _http://www.chezjim.com/food/pre-v/comparisons.html
> >

> > In a message dated 9/2/2013 2:39:04 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> > johnnae at mac.com <javascript:;> writes:
> >
> > I think  Mistress Jadwga talked about these  topics
> > http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/herbs/WomenMed.html
> >
> > Johnnae
> >
> > On  Aug 31, 2013, at 11:42 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
> >
> > > Which brings up  another question that I don't think I've seen
> discussed
> > here, although this  might be mentioned more in the health manuals than
> > cookbooks, but what foods  were recommended for pregnant women? Or not
> > recommended?
> >

> > _ (http://www.chezjim.com/food/pre-v/comparisons.htmlIn a message dated
> > 9/2/2013 2:39:04 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, johnnae at mac.com<javascript:;>writes:I
> think
> > Mistress Jadwga talked about these
> > topicshttp://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/herbs/WomenMed.htmlJohnnaeOnAug
> > 31, 2013, at 11:42 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:>
> > Which brings up another question that I don't think I've seen discussed
> > here, although this might be mentioned more in the health manuals than
> > cookbooks, but what foods were recommended for pregnant women? Or not
> > recommended?)

Saint Phlip

So, you think your data is safe?
http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/01/23/schneier.google.hacking/index.html?hpt=T2

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Priorities:

.I never wanted to see anybody die, but there are a few obituary notices I
have read with pleasure. -Clarence Darrow