[Sca-cooks] MidWinter Feast

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Sep 8 09:28:41 PDT 2013

The Silk Road is a collection of routes, some of which have been used for
eight thousand years.  If you want to promote historical cooking in the
context of the East-West trade that is lumped under the term "Silk Road," I
would say, set your background and your timeframe, which will bring your
participants into a common structure.  I might suggest 14th Century, which
was the heyday of trade along the Road.  I would suggest either the
Kiev-Xian route or the Antioch-Xian route.

Your major stops on the first route would be Kiev (Russian), Gorgan or
Mashad (Persian), Merv (Persian Turkmenistan), Bukhara (Persian Uzbekistan),
Samarquand (Mongol Uzbekistan), Kashi (Kashgar, Mongol), Dunhuang (Chinese),
and Xian (Chinese).  The second route exchanges Kiev for Antioch (Mamluk
Syrian) and Baghdad (Persian).  It is worth noting that the 14th Century
marks the disintegration of the Mongol Empire from Baghdad to Beijing, the
rise of the Seljuk Turks, and that toward the end of the century, Tamerlane
made Samarquand his capitol.

A number of years ago, I talked a reluctant cooking into preparing period
rather than modern ethnic food.  She acceded and produced a fine 16th
Century German feast, but I had to provide research assistance, advice and
moral support and encouragement.  I wouldn't try to force anyone to prepare
period recipes, but I would certainly lend a lot of support to anyone who
did and definitely let them take all the credit for their work.

Sorry I won't be in the Outlands that weekend.

Bear