[Sca-cooks] Feast in Nithgaard (State College, PA) Sept. 14, for Henry V's birthday

Alexander Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Sun Sep 8 15:30:55 PDT 2013

On Sun, 8 Sep 2013 00:18:28 -0500, Stefan li Rous
<StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
>Henry mentioned:
><<< I've been planning a feast for a little event we're having next
>Saturday to celebrate the Shire of Nithgaard's 36th birthday, >>>
>
>Do you know where the name of your shire came from? What does it mean? I don't think I have it detailed in the Florilegium and it doesn't seem to be on your shires webpage. For instance, here is what I have on other group names:
>placenames-msg (110K) 10/ 4/00 Origins and meanings of SCA placenames. Pt. 1
>
>placenames2-msg (106K) 8/11/10 Origins and meanings of SCA placenames. Pt. 2
>placenames3-msg (40K) 8/ 6/11 Origins and meanings of SCA placenames. Pt. 3
>
>If you can write me, or find someone who can, I'd love to add it to this last file.

All I know off the top of my head is it's something like Old Norse or
Old English and it's supposed to mean something like "middle of
nowhere".

><<< The menu is based on menus from about the time of the reign of Henry V. >>>
>
>I know what a few of these are and can guess at others.  But I think a lot of people might enjoy it more if they knew what they were eating. Unless the idea is to disguise what this is. So, while keeping the original names is fine, please consider adding translations.

translations:
><<< Le .j. cours.
>Brawn wt mustard.
wild boar with mustard
>Furmentee wt Venysoun.
wheat porridge with venison
>Mammenye.
date, pine nut and poultry potage
>Kyde.
roast kid (young goat) leg
>Fesauntys.
pheasants (probably getting the Mongolian subspecies)
>Blaunche Braun.
wild boar in almond milk
>Tartee.
tarts
>Vn sotelte.
>
>Le .ij. cours.
>Venysoun en brothe.
venison in broth
>Vyaund ryal.
potage of wine with pine nuts
>Chykonys farce.
stuffed chickens
>Venysoun Rostyd.
roast venison
>Lech lumbarde.
strained date slices
>fflampayne.
pork & cheese pastry stuck with points on top
>Vn sotelte.
>
>Le .iij. cours.
>Datys in Compost.
date compote
>Creme Motley.
egg-yolk custard marbled in two colors
>Quaylys.
quails (Coturnix coturnix)
>Pomez endoryd.
meatballs disguised in green batter
>Braun bruse.
wild boar slices with diced boar in
>Longe ffrytourys.
curd batter fritters
>Payn puffe.
buns with fruit filling
>Pomys en gele.
apple gelatin
>Vn sotelte.  >>>
>
>What do you have in mind for the 3(!) sotelties? Although I do understand here that you might wish this to be a surprise.

I can say that in a week. :-) But it might involve cake, pastry, and
gingerbread.

>It does sound like the carnivores will be happy.

Forgot to mention, there are to be a few side dishes, though they
aren't named on the menu. Probably a green salad, beans, and
pastinacas.

--
Henry/Alex