[Sca-cooks] for newcomers

Julia Herzog julia_n_herzog at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 11 06:06:06 PDT 2013

Comments below! :)
<<
On Sep 11, 2013, at 1:46 AM, Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Julia Herzog said:
> <<< I read the cookbook reviews/discussion I found on Florilegium and on another site (will have to look up later). Florilegium is an excellent resource. >>>
>
> Thank you.
>
> <<< I am an experienced cook and researcher but new to the SCA. >>>
>
> We have many levels of cooking abilities here, including those new to cooking as well as medieval cooking, like I was.
>
> Just in case you haven't seen it yet, since you are new to the SCA, I would also recommend taking a look through the Florilegium NEWCOMERS section. There is also a Yahoo group for SCA newcomers, called "scanewcomers".

I will have to join that, thanks for the heads up!
<<

> <<< I found it was helpful to read around online on medieval cookbooks for a week or two to glean what were legitimate/well-researched books and what to look for and what met my needs. (My persona is 14th century Italian). >>>
>
> If you are researching names, I highly recommend the St. Gabrials (sp?) site created by some SCA name heralds. Remember, you don't have to have a complete name for some time, although having a first name keeps folks from having to learn your mundane name and then quickly your persona name. My AoA scroll says "Stephen of Bryn Gwlad" since I was still working on my name.

I have nailed down a given name but am still deciding on the rest. I'm using the Online Catasto Florence 1427 and the other 1350-1450 Florentine sources on St Gabriel. Wavering on Given Name + Patronymic + Family Name or just Given Name + Family Name. I'll be submitting either Taddea del Pace or Taddea Avito del Pace. I know the Given Name + Family Name is more standard, but I like the longer version of the 14-15th c Italian names.
<<

> Here are some other files which might be of interest, given your persona:
> fd-Italy-msg (57K) 7/14/10 Period Italian food. Cookbooks.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Italy-msg.html
>
> Italy-msg (37K) 6/26/10 Italian culture, families. Medieval P.o.I.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Italy-msg.html
>
> Are you interested in cooking feasts in the SCA? Or just cooking for a small group? Or is your interest mostly more academic?

I joined the SCA earlier this year. My significant other has been with the SCA since the late 90's. So he has been a wonderful resource. I do plan to work towards cooking feasts down the road. I cooked for 25+ people in college. In August I got to help cook a feast at an event for 45-60, and I LOVED it!

I'm not a historical researcher :). I work in public health and public health research. But my Bachelors is in art and art history. I lived in Rome, visited Florence. I studied medieval and renaissance art history while I was there. The maternal side of my family is Italian. So an Italian persona was a natural choice! :)

I'm excited to be in the SCA. And I'm taking a garb sewing class taught by the Lady of his House, starting this month.

Taddea