No subject

Thu Apr 10 15:59:49 PDT 2014

Middle Eastern foods.

Ted Eisenstein wrote:

(attribution lost)
> > Remember to bring lots of drinking water, and keep yourself hydrated.  The
> > water on site is potable, (in that it won't kill you) but it's not pleasant
> > to drink.  Bottled water is available at camp store, and local grocery

Apparently you live in a city with really good water and haven't spent
enough time drinking out of friends' wells.  Baltimore has good water.
But DC, which I often visit, has a recurring algae problem which they
fix with a recurring chlorine problem.

I find the Pennsic water perfectly drinkable and not at all bad
tasting.  Strange and different the first day at war, but not -wrong-.

> > stores.    Dehydration happens faster than you think, and the heat can get
> > quite brutal (Anyone remember Pennsic 24?).  Even on relatively cool days,
> > you can dehydrate quickly unless you keep replentishing your tank.
> I second that. Drink more than you think you need to. And then drink some
> more. If you think you might be thirsty in an hour, drink. If you're thirsty
> now, drink, dammit! If you're parched, sit down in the shade, drink, and
> don't do anything else until you're no longer thirsty.

If you find yourself adding salt to your food, drink more!

I've found a direct correlation to how much salt is on my food and how
much water is in my body.  And I usually am not thirsty when I'm adding
all this salt to my food.

> And for heavens sake, if you're drinking to rehydrate, stay away from
> liquor, anything with caffeine, anything with carbonation; all three are
> diuretics. They may satisfy you now, but in an hour or two you'll _really_
> need to drink. Water is good; fruit juices are good (and some people prefer
> to water down their fruit juices somewhat); sekunjabin and its cousins are
> good. Gatorade is well-like by some people full-strength, by others watered

Speaking of sekanjabin ... if you really really really hate making
sekanjabin (or, have read recipes and listened to friends tell of making
it and been scared away) I found a source for commercially made
sekanjabin.  Ingredients: Sugar, Mint Flavored Vinegar, Water.

http://sadaf.com/store/page22.html
Sekanjabin Mint Syrup $4.99

The bottle is about the size of a wine bottle, and makes (at my
proportions of syrup to water) 10 liters of Sekanjabin.

(A quick scan of their site finds saffron, sumac, mango ginger chutney,
sesame candies, and other yummies at really good prices)

-M