No subject

Thu Apr 10 15:59:49 PDT 2014

ht coat
of olive oil then add a thin layer or farmer's cheese (cottage cheese), lay=
er of
noodles, layers of cheeses, nutmeg, and flat leaf parsley, layer of noodles=
, and
final layer of farmer's cheese, and other cheeses. Bake 325 for 25 minutes.=
 Garnish
and serve. This is a redaction.

Bread (THL Felicia - Marinus)
I am Lady Felicia Catriona Morgan from the Barony of Marinus. I chose the =
=93Rustic
Oatmeal Bread=94 recipe for several reasons: it is quite easy to make (When=
 you are
feeding 600 people, ease is definitely a necessity); it is different from a=
ny bread
I've had at feast before; and it keeps well. (A plus when you are baking 15=
0 loaves
to feed a crowd!)

2 =BC cups all purpose flour    1/3 cup sugar
1 =BD teaspoons salt               2 tablespoons instant yeast
1-1/2 cup water                     1 stick unsalted butter
2 cups quick cooking oats   2 eggs
2 to 2 =BD cups all purpose flour

Mix first 4 ingredients in large mixing bowl. Heat water and butter togethe=
r to 125
to 130=B0.

Add hot water/butter mixture to dry ingredients all at once.  Mix so that m=
ost of
the dry ingredients are com-bined with the liquid.

Add oatmeal and eggs stirring till all dry ingredients are moistened.  Beat
thoroughly with wooden spoon for 3 minutes. Add remaining 2 to 2 =BD cups f=
lour a
little at a time beating until a soft dough is formed. Place dough in light=
ly oiled
bowl and cover with a damp cloth.  Allow the dough to rise in a warm draft =
free
place for 30 min-utes. Stir dough down (I used my hands for this step) and =
split
into 2 lumps. Place lumps in lightly oiled 1-1/2 quart baking dishes. Let r=
ise
uncovered for 30 minutes. Bake in 375=B0 oven for 35 minutes.

Turn out immediately onto wire rack to cool. Makes 2 loaves.

Various Butters (Baron Tirloch - Ponte Alto)
When planning this feast with Dame Winifred, we talked about butter for the=
 bread. I
did not want to just put out the normal butter sticks or bowls with herbed =
butter or
honey butter. What I have today are butters in various shapes that reflect =
the
symbols seen in our Atlantian culture. Plain butter is done in seahorses an=
scallops.  Honey butter is done in starfishes.  Herbed butter is made with =
sweet
basil and shaped in acorns and laurel leaves.

Buttered Carrots (Lady Jane- Marinus)
I am Lady Jane Devereux who comes from the Barony of Marinus. Cooking is a =
love of
mine and I enjoy sharing that with other people.  My father owns a restaura=
nt in
Nashville, Tennessee and I grew up cooking and it has always been a part of=
 my life.
I am always on the prowl for a vegetable recipe that tastes good and is eas=
y to
prepare for large numbers.  This carrot dish is delicious, and even profess=
ed carrot
haters usually love it.  Many is the time that I have had people come up to=
 me after
I have served it to tell me that it was their favorite part of the meal.  I=
t is my
hope that it will complement the noble feast being served, and that the goo=
d gentles
who have the opportunity to be there will remember it fondly.

3 =BD pounds peeled carrots   1 =BD pounds sugar
1 T baking powder                 1 T vanilla or rosewater
=BC cup flour                               6 eggs
=BD pound butter                         Powdered sugar

Steam or boil carrots until extra soft. Drain well. While carrots are warm,=
 add
sugar, baking powder and vanilla or rosewater. Whip with mixer until smooth=
. Add
flour and combine well.  Whip eggs and add to flour mixture, blend well. Ad=
softened butter to mixture and blend well. Pour mixture into baking dish ab=
out half
full as it will rise. Bake in 350=B0 oven about 1 hour or until the top is =
a light
golden brown.  Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar over top before serving=
, if
desired. Serves 10.

Fried Broad Beans (Highland Foorde Cooks Guild - Highland Foorde)
The Highland Foorde Cooks=92 Guild has found that this dish is quite popula=
r with many
feast-goers.  The recipe is originally found in Platina (Book 7) and we hav=
e since
modified the redaction that was in Cariadoc=92s Miscellany.

=93Put broad beans that have been cooked and softened into a frying pan wit=
h soft fat,
onions, figs, sage, and sev-eral pot herbs, or else fry them well rubbed wi=
th oil
and, on a wooden tablet or a flat surface, spread this into the form of a c=
ake and
sprinkle spices over it.=94

2 c canned fava beans             6-8 T Crisco
=BD c onions                                 2/3 c figs (each fig cut in ab=
out 8
pieces)
=BD t sage                                     =BD t salt
1 =BD c spinach, packed              Spices for sprinkling on top: =BC t gi=
nger, =BD t
cinnamon, =BC t pepper

Drain the beans, mix the whole mess together and fry it in the Crisco for 1=
0
minutes, then serve it forth with spices sprinkled on it.

Minted Cucumber Salad (Lady Genevieve - Roxbury Mill)
I am Lady Genevieve from the Shire of Roxbury Mill. This is one of my favor=
ite
dishes for warm weather.

To serve 100 people:
15 large cucumbers    7 large onions
2-3 cups sugar             =BD gallon distilled vinegar
Lots of fresh mint         =BD gallon water

Peel cucumbers and onions and slice thinly. (I use a food processor). The o=
nions can
be in rings or =BD rings, and the cucumbers should be in circles.  Layer cu=
cumbers and
onions in a large container, with a handful of dried mint every few layers.=
 More
mint is better. If you have fresh mint, it is even better.  Add the sugar t=
o the mix
and mix well. Next, add the distilled white or red vinegar, and add water t=
o cover
the cucumber and onion mix. Keep in mind this is not an exact science. When=
 adding
the vinegar, you'll want it to cover slightly more than =BD of the cucumber=
s, so you
might need more than a =BD gallon. Mix well again.

Second Remove:
Roast Pork (Lord Robear - Caer Mear)
I am Lord Robear de Bardoulf.  I selected this recipe because it reminds me=
 of a
crust or a rub, which I prefer when roasting.  This recipe can be interpret=
ed to
have a greater liquid content then I have chosen to put it in.  I am doing =
this in
order to enhance the flavors of the spices on the pork brought out when roa=
sting.
Also it is a lot easier to do 200 pounds of pork this way!  J Enjoy!

Cormarye (Forme of Cury)
Take colyandre, carauoy smale grondem, powdo of pep and garlec ygroade i re=
de wyne
medle alle togyd and salt it, take loyn of pork rawe and fle of the skyn, a=
nd pryk
it wel with a knyf and lay it in the sawse.  Roost of what wilt, kepe that =
fallish
thro the rosting and seep it in possynet with faire broth. Sue it forth wit=
h roost
anoon.

Redaction:  Mix together coriander, ground caraway, ground peppercorns, gar=
lic, red
wine, and salt.  Make a paste.  Take pork roast and prick it with a knife. =
 Roll it
in the paste and roast it in the oven basting often with pan drippings and =
broth.
Serve immediately.

Ingredients =96 Spices, red wine, pork, broth.

Various Sauces (Master John - Nottinghill Coill)
I am Master John le Burguillun.  Sauces were an important component of the =
medieval
menu; no meat came to the table without being cooked in a sauce or accompan=
ied by a
sauce.  I hope to encourage people to explore the wide range of sauces that=
 were
used by period cooks.  I picked these three sauces because, in addition to =
being
totally dissimilar, they came from different locations and time periods.  T=
he Sage
Sauce is English, ca. 1450, the Verjuice is from latter 15th c. Naples, and=
 the
Horseradish is Spanish, ca. 1529.

Sage Sauce - Harl 4016 {my adaptation of the original redaction by Hieatt &=
 Butler
in "Pleyn Delit."}

For 2 Tables of 8:
10-12 sage leaves        4 hard boiled eggs, separated
=BD tsp. Salt                      =BC tsp. ginger
=BC tsp. pepper
=BD cup vinegar {white, apple cider, or white wine}

Grind the egg yolks with the sage and vinegar in a blender or food processo=
r.  After
chopping up the egg whites, add them to the mixture and reblend.  At this p=
oint, the
mixture will be soupy.  Put it in the refrigerator and allow to thicken for=
 several
hours.  Stir before serving and adjust spices if needed.

Verjuice with Garlic - MS Buhler 19 {translated by Scully as the "Cuoco Nap=
oletano";
my redaction}

For a table of 8:
=BD cup verjuice {or 2 parts cider vinegar : 1 part water}
1 t fresh fennel {combination of bulb and leaves}
1 clove garlic                  2-3 sprigs fresh basil               1/8 t =
pepper

Chop the garlic, fennel and basil.  Grind ingredients together with a morta=
r and
pestle. Mix with verjuice.  Let it sit or refrigerate for several hours to =
allow
flavor to develop.

Horseradish-Honey Sauce {from de Nola, translation by Lady Brighid ni Chiar=
ain,
redaction by Anahita al-shazhiyya, slightly modified}

For 1 quart of sauce:
1 lb. fresh horseradish root                       4 slices of crusty bread=
, toasted

=BE cup white wine vinegar                          2 cups honey
1 cup water                                                 2 tsp. pepper

Grate the horseradish {a hand-grate will grate more finely than a blender}.=
 Soak the
toasted bread in the vine-gar.  Once it has soaked, add the bread with the
horseradish to the blender, and blend briefly.  Add the vinegar, honey and =
pepper
and blend.  Add just enough water to make a smooth sauce. Just before servi=
ng, heat
the sauce on low heat until warm.  Note:  This is a strong sauce.  You may =
wish to
decrease the amount of horserad-ish to suit your taste.

Creamy Sage Rice (Lady Jacquetta - St. George's Keep)
My name is Lady Jacquetta Edington of Yorkshire, from the Canton of St. Geo=
rges. The
reason why I choice this dish is for many reasons. First, the aroma is plea=
sing,
second, the flavors tend to blend nicely together, and third, it is a very =
hearty,
but delightful dish. This dish can be served year round. Whether it be wint=
er or
sum-mer, spring or fall. Its creamy texture will enlighten anyone's palate.

For a table of 10:
1 lb. White Rice                 2 cans Cream of Chicken Soup
2 to 5 tblsp Milk                 2 tblsp. Ground Sage
Salt & Pepper to taste

Cook the rice as normal, warm the soup & start with 2 tblsp of milk & work =
your way
up (you do not want this mix to be runny) mix until smooth & completely hea=
ted &
then add the sage, salt, & pepper. In a bowl add the cooked rice & pour the=
 soup mix
over & stir. Taste to see if more seasoning is needed. You do not want the =
sage to
over power, but you do want a very distinct taste of it.

Savory Toasted Cheese (Master Phillip - Dun Carraig)
I am Master Phillip of Ghent, Baron of Dun Carraig. I ended up in a kitchen=
 at my
very first event, Tir-Y-Don's first Trident Tourney.  I learned the culinar=
y arts in
kitchens of Sir Tojenareum, Viscount Brightor Aison of Devon, Sir Thorvald
Gundaarson and Baroness Brunhilde Jorgesdottir.  Savory Toasted Cheese has =
been a
long-standing favorite in the Kingdom of Atlantia, and as I was delighted w=
hen
Baroness Winifred suggested I prepare it, as I could not decide what to pre=
pare.
Besides, the look on a grocer's face when you tell him you want to order "4=
0 pounds
of Brie" is priceless.

Savory Toasted Cheese is found in The Closet of Sir Kenelm Digby Opened (16=
69). I
use the redaction from Sir Tojenareum Grenville of Devon:

Serves 8:
8 oz. Cream Cheese                                    =BD cup (1 stick) But=
ter
8 oz. Brie (trimmed, if you have the time)   Pinch White pepper
Crumbled Bacon (optional)
2 cups cooked or steamed vegetables (broccoli, asparagus, green beans, etc.=
)

Melt together the Brie, Cream Cheese & Butter in a saucepan. Season with Wh=
ite
Pepper to taste.  Arrange vegetables in a casserole dish & cover with melte=
d cheese
sauce.  Sprinkle Bacon on top (if used).  Place casse-role dish in the oven=
 under
broiler until the cheese bubbles and browns a bit.

Mushroom and Brie Pie (Bright Hills Cooks Guild - Bright Hills)
We are the Bright Hills Cooks Guild. We have been inexistence for about 5 =
=BD years.
Our guild is set up to foster the cooking arts and to share information and=
 skills.
The guild teaches people and supports the learning experi-ence. Although we=
 work as
a team, credit is definitely given to whomever the person(s) involved in pr=
eparation
for a dish.  We try to give everyone exposure to every aspect of the kitche=
n and
building their skills.

The guild has a cleaver for the gavel. The cleaver is used to run the guild=
=92s
meetings and to keep the subject under discussion on track.  For further in=
formation
on the cleaver, ask a member of the BHCG!

The recipe is called =93Champignons=94 and it is found in the Menagier de P=
aris.

Mushroom and Brie Pie  A variation on the mushroom pie.  Serves 10.

1lb fresh button mushrooms                =BC lb Brie
=BD lb softened cream cheese               2-4 T olive oil
=BD tsp salt                                                2-3 T grated Pa=
rmesan
cheese
2 tsp spice powder: (We use a combination of pepper, garlic, mustard powder=
 and a
tiny hint of nutmeg=97just mix it up until the balance tastes good to you.)

Clean and trim mushrooms.  (You may parboil them in lightly salted water if=
 they are
not as fresh as you would like or if they are dry and tough=97now days, the=
y shouldn=92t
be, but this dish can be made with less than perfect mushrooms.) Peel rind =
off Brie
and cut both Brie and softened cream cheese into pieces. Put pieces into
blender/food processor. In a processor or blender, blend the cheese with 2 =
tbsp
olive oil, spices and salt.  If necessary, add a little extra olive oil for=
 a creamy
consistency.

Brush an ovenproof casserole dish with oil.  Pour in the cheese mixture and=
 gently
fold in your mushrooms. Cover and bake in a 375=B0 oven for 20 minutes. Rem=
ove from
oven, increase oven temperature to 400=B0. Sprinkle the casserole with grat=
ed Parmesan
cheese and return, uncovered, to the oven for 10 minutes. Remove casserole =
and allow
dish to cool 10 minutes so that the cheese can begin to thicken.  Serve wit=
h toast
points if this is to be an appetizer, without if it is a side dish.

Almond Applesauce (THL Jehan - Lochmere)
I am THL Jehan Yves de Chateau Thiery. I have been in the SCA since AS 9. I=
 have
lived in Lochmere actively for the last six years. When asked to submit a n=
umber of
my best dishes for one to be selected for this feast I chose Emplumeuse de =
Pomes
(Almond Applesauce) from Chiquart's Du Fait de Cuisine because it was a ver=
popu-lar dish when I served it as a part of the feast for Lochmere's Mid-Wi=
nter's
Dance Revel in February. In a feast of this size what I like best is that I=
'm able
to prepare the dish ahead of time, freeze it, and not tie up a lot of kitch=
en space
at the event.

Emplumeus de Pomes (almond applesauce)  Serving Size: 600 Preparation Time:=
 3:00

300 apples -- peeled, cored, sliced                         7 1/8 gallons w=
ater
1/3 cup salt                                                               =
   1 =BD
gallons ground almonds
3 1/8 gallons sugar  (mix Turbanado, dark brown, and white)

Cook apples in salted water until almost tender. Remove apples from liquid.=
 Add
almonds to liquid and cook for several minutes to extract almond milk. Blen=
d to
liquify almonds and strain. Return to pot, add apples and cook until tender=
. Stir in
sugar. Cook gently for 3 minutes. Taste, add more sugar if desired. Serve.

Various Desserts:

White Torta (Lady Gwynaeth & Lady Jenet - Stierbach)
We are Lady Gwynaeth of Pembroke and Lady Jenet Fairhaugh, of the Barony of
Stierbach.  The white torta was one of the initial recipes that we tested a=
nd proved
to us that period recipes can be both simple and deli-cious.  We were impre=
ssed by
the wonderfully rich and creamy texture that seemed to be a fantastic
finish to our initial menu selection.  The white torta was well received at=
 the
Baronial Birthday Bullfights and was a natural choice for the Atlantian 20 =
Year
Feast menu because of its versatility and popularity.

Platina (Book 8):
Prepare a pound and a half of best fresh cheese, chopped especially fine. A=
dd twelve
or fifteen egg whites, half a pound of sugar, half an ounce of white ginger=
, half a
pound of pork liquamen and as much fresh butter. Blend
in as much milk as you need. When you have blended this, put it into a past=
ry crust
rolled thin and put it all in a pan and set it to bake on the hearth with a=
 gentle
flame. Then, to give it color, put coals on the lid. When it is cooked and =
taken
from the pan, sprinkle ground sugar over it, with rosewater.

Redaction from Cariadoc's Miscellany:

1 lb fresh cheese: ricotta                       8 egg whites
2/3 c sugar                                              1/3 oz fresh ginge=
=BC lb lard                                                   =BC lb butter
=BD c milk                                                   10" pastry she=
ll
~2 t sugar                                                1 t rosewater

Beat egg whites to soft peaks. Soften butter and lard together at room temp=
erature.
Fold together cheese and egg whites, then add sugar, minced ginger, lard an=
d butter.
Mix until fairly uniform. Add milk and then fill shell. Bake at 325=B0 for =
40 minutes.
When oil separates, it is done. Put under broiler to brown top lightly. Spr=
inkle
sugar and rosewater, spread on with spoon bottom. Cool until set. (This is =
a little
less butter and lard than Platina suggests, but we found it too fatty using=
 his
quantities.)

Digby Cakes (Baron Tirloch - Ponte Alto)
I am Baron Tirloch of Tallaght. Sir Kenelm Digby (1603-1665) collected reci=
pes of
cookery, meads, and other drinks during his lifetime. His book, The Closet =
of Sir
Kenelm Digby Opened , is a masterpiece of English Renais-sance literature t=
hat has
detailed and accurate descriptions. One of Sir Digby=92s recipes that is of=
ten used in
Society feasts is his =91Excellent Small Cakes.=92 Duke Cariadoc originally=
 redacted it.
I took Sir Digby=92s recipe and redacted it a couple of years ago and I add=
ed more
cream in the making.

Excellent Small Cakes (Digby Cakes).  Serves: 24 cakes

3 cups flour                 1 egg yolk
=BE cups sugar              1 =BE sticks butter
3 cups baking raisins  4 T table cream
2 T freshly grated nutmeg          2 t sherry

Mix everything together well. Roll out the dough or on a lightly floured fl=
at
surface and to the =93handsbreath thickness=94. To produce uniform sized ca=
kes, I use an
ale glass to cut out the cakes. Bake for 25 minutes at 350=B0. The time is =
dependent
upon each cook=92s individual oven.

For icing the cakes, use =BD cup of powdered sugar and enough warm water so=
 you can
spread it on the cakes as soon as they come out of the oven. A pastry brush=
 is good
for painting each cake with the sugar glaze.

Spiced Nuts (Duchess Melisande)
I am Duchess Melisande de Belvoir.  This is one of my favorite desserts.

(Note from Tirloch:  I can=92t find the recipe from Her Grace and I am usin=
g my memory
here. Her Grace can give you the recipe.) It is very simple to make:  use s=
helled
walnuts, egg whites, sugar and ground cinnamon.

~Tirloch