No subject

Thu Apr 10 15:59:49 PDT 2014

At 5:58 PM -0500 12/11/02, Phlip wrote:
> >we used about 2 ounces / a half cup of flour to a
> >quart of milk; the recipe doesn't call for butter, but we cheated at
>>12th Night and made a roux with two ounces of butter, melted and
>>very briefly heated with the flour, per a quart of milk. About 1/2
>>teaspoon saffron crumbled in for color (after all, gauncile means
>>yellow, more or less), and as much whole garlic cloves as you want,
>>at least a head or two per quart. (We used a gallon jar of peeled
>>cloves; about 3/4 of it went into the sauce.) At 12th Night, we were
>>only able to simmer the sauce for about 20 minutes, so the garlic
>>wasn't quite soft enough, so I strained about 3/4 of it out and
>>pureed it, then returned it to the pot.
>>
>>Salt is a good addition... ;-)

Essentially, a white sauce made with milk and flour, with saffron for
color, salt, and plenty of garlic added. There are very few
flour-thickened sauces known in the Anglo-Norman recipe corpus; I
thought this one was both deceptively simple, interesting, and
tasty...

Adamantius

Lady Anne du Bosc
Known as Mordonna The Cook