[Sca-cooks] What pastry/sugarpaste/marzipan molds would you like

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Apr 5 20:13:35 PDT 2014

I took a class today and now have access to a vacuum molding machine. This is a machine that heats up a sheet of acrylic or other plastic sheet and vacuum forms the softened plastic sheet over a positive mold. This plastic sheet can be a food-grade plastic.

While I can't make a cake pan, unfortunately, because it would then melt when you put it in an oven, I think this would be an excellent way to make molds for sugar paste, marzipan or even cookies.  And maybe even for bread or pastry dough. In other words, something that will retain its molded shape when removed from the mold. Or something that can dry in the mold outside of an oven. It might take a low oven heat for drying but not a baking temperature.

1. What general shapes do you think would make great molds?

fruits? nuts? illusion foods?

I'm thinking of one-piece molds since there can't be undercuts. The molded food must be able to slide out of the mold. Or a two-piece mold might be possible, but more work.

I'm also interested in mold shapes not easily already available from commercial sources.  There is no reason to re-create what is already available at probably cheaper prices.

2. Would there be any interest in custom molds?

There is a fair amount of work in making the positive mold, but once it is made, many plastic sheet molds could be made from this one master mold.

Maybe kingdom arms? Laurel wreaths? Baronial arms? other award insignia?

3. What would you be willing to pay for such a reusable, plastic mold?

Such molds could also be used for gelatin, jellies, aspic?, cookie dough, chocolate. Some period, some not.

4. What other foods might you mold with these?
mamouls? period gingerbread? modern gingerbread?

Please let me know by email if this is too commercial an inquiry. I do think that this might be a way to fancy up some SCA feasts, though. Also, please feel free to pass this on to anyone else who might be interested.

Thanks,
  Stefan

Some Florilegium files on possible mold uses.
sugar-paste-msg (126K) 1/ 9/08 Making sugar paste sotelties.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/sugar-paste-msg.html

molded-foods-msg (24K) 8/20/07 Period and modern molded foods. Molds.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/molded-foods-msg.html

marzipan-msg (111K) 7/25/10 Use of marzipan (almond paste) in sotelties in
both period and the SCA. Working with marzipan.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/marzipan-msg.html
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris