[Sca-cooks] Sent Sovi "Translation"

Susan Lord Williams lordhunt at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 11:04:30 PDT 2014

In reference to the 12 apr replies concerning this subject:
JIMCHEVAL wrote:

> http://www.raco.cat/index.php/BoletinRABL/article/view/196586

The page is blank when I open it up.

> Message: 2
>
> From: Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com>
> To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
>
> Ok,
>
> From Worldcat
> there is an edition in Catalan.
>
> Llibre de Sent Sov?
> by Joan Santanach; Fundaci? Llu?s Carulla.;
> Book   Language: Catalan
> Publisher: Barcelona : Barcino, 2006.
> Database: WorldCat
>
> This edition is listed as
> a cura de Joan Santanach i Su?ol ; prefaci de Carme Ruscalleda.
> This is the edition that was then translated into English by Robin M Vogelzang in 2008.
> ------
>
> Also of interest
> Llibre de totes maneres de confits
>
> Author:	Joan Santanach; Fundaci? Jaume I.
> Publisher:	Barcelona : Barcino, 2003.
>
> Extret del vol.: Llibre de Sent Sov?, Llibre de totes maneres de potatges de menjar.
> A la contraportada: Fundaci? Jaume I.
>
> Also  the 1979 edition
> Libre de Sent Sov? : receptari de cuina
> by Rudolf Grewe;
> Book
> Language: Catalan
> Publisher: Barcelona : Barcino, 1979.
> followed by this edition then--
> Llibre de sent sov? ; Llibre de totes maneres de potatges de menjar
>
> Author:	Rudolf Grewe; Amadeu-J Soberanas; Joan Santanach i Su?ol
> Publisher:	Barcelona : Barcino, 2004.
>
> Llibre de totes maneres de potatges de menjar.
> Llibre de totes maneres de confits.
> a cura de Rudolf Grewe ; edici? revisada per Amadeu-J. Soberanas i Joan Santanach. Llibre de totes maneres de confits / edici? cr?tica de Joan Santanach i Su?ol.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Johnnae

I have the texts you are talking about. If not, this subject would have never come up.

In reference to the Santanach recipes, they are not appear to be translated from the original text as those of Grewe and subsequently Santanch’s concerning the same material. Is it not basic that an orginal MS calls for 2-3 eggs and a later translation calls for 3-4? Would you not wonder about such a translation?

So my quest is to find a more reliable translation of Sent Soví to Castellano or English, which as of to date does not appear to exist.