[Sca-cooks] Sent Sovi "Translation"

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sun Apr 13 11:20:47 PDT 2014

In the rectangular window? Let it sit a few minutes. A PDF does appear, but
 quite annoyingly they give you no "Wait' message. After it appears, wait a
 little longer and when you mouse over the window you'll get all the PDF
options  (including Save) in a bar at lower right.

But it's not intuitive,  no.

If the very first page you're getting is blank, that's a problem. But  you
should be getting this:

BOLETÍN  DE LA REAL ACADEMIA DE BUENAS LETRAS DE BARCELONAAjuda de la
revista EL MEU  RACO

Català Castellano English CERCAR EN LA  REVISTA
Cerca

A tots els camps Autors/es Títol Resum Termes de  l’índex Text complet

Consultar
Números publicats
Índex  d'autors
Índex de títols

Carhus Plus+: Classificació de revistes  científiques dels àmbits de les
Ciències Socials i Humanitats
Nivell  C
MIDA DE LA LLETRA
Make font size smallerMake font size defaultMake font  size larger
EINES DE L'ARTICLE
Estadístiques

Imprimir  aquest article
Metadades  d’indexació

Citació

Mendeley

Política de  revisió
Envia per correu aquest article (Es requereix accedir)INICI MÉS  INFORMACIÓ
ESTADISTIQUES EL MEU RACO SUBSCRIURE-US CERCA DARRER NÚMERO NÚMEROS
PUBLICATS
Boletín de la Real Academia de Buenas Letras de Barcelona >  1952: Vol.: 24
(1951-1952) > Faraudo de Saint-Germain

El "Libre de  Sent Soví" Recetario de cocina catalana medieval
Luís Faraudo de  Saint-Germain

----> with a PDF option right here <----

That will open the window I'm referring to, which appears to just be
hanging there, but is actually working.

This version includes a glossary  as well, which is helpful.

It occurs to me that even if you can't read the old Catalan and even if you
 distrust whichever translation you have in front of you, you might be able
to  match the two to puzzle out any points on which you have doubts.

Otherwise, I wouldn't be too optimistic about trying to entirely translate
even a modern Catalan version. I often read old Provencal, Anglo-Norman,
Flemish-inflected Old French, etc without great difficulty and still find
this  rough going. I've managed to translate most of one recipe, but there's a
lot of  words I've had to either check in the glossary or look up in Google
Books. One  issue is I think some of this vocabulary is very specific to
this  document.

Not that it can't be done, certainly, but it's a far more arduous
translation task than even translating the Enseignemenz, for instance.

Jim Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

Beyond the peacocks: what most  Medieval eaters actually  ate
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/04/beyond-peacocks-what-most-medieval.html

In  a message dated 4/13/2014 11:04:36 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,