[Sca-cooks] Free redactions of Roman recipes

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Fri Apr 4 18:36:19 PDT 2014

Perhaps it would be better then to refer to Dalby:

_http://books.google.com/books?id=KdR4jRJCxEsC&lpg=PA17&dq=inauthor%3Adalby%
20apicius&pg=PA17#v=onepage&q&f=false_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=KdR4jRJCxEsC&lpg=PA17&dq=inauthor:dalby%20apicius&pg=PA17#v=onepage&q&f=false)

The gist of his view is that the surviving collection might just contain a
bit of the historical Apicius. But the dating for the whole is generally
given  as the fourth to fifth century.

Here is what Laurioux says, in a study of the work's life in the Middle
Ages:

" "The history of De re coquinaria then indeed belongs to the Middle Ages,
and it does so fully...the text itself, such as it has come to us, was not
set  before the fifth century and probably continued to evolve during the
very early  Middle Ages".
18

Cuisiner à l'Antique : Apicius au Moyen Age
Bruno  Laurioux    lien Médiévales  lien    Year   1994    lien Volume
13    lien Issue   26    lien pp.  17-38

http://persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/article/medi_0751-2708_1994_num_1
3_26_1294

The one thing I think we can say with certainty is that this is not a work
by the historical Apicius, even if it possibly may contain traces of his
writing.

Vinidarius of course is generally recognized as using different material,
even if his effort is typically attached to the earlier work.

Otherwise, I hope it's clear that saying that Roman cooking remained
important into the Middle Ages does not in the least mean people were using
Pseudo-Apicius' recipes to make it. Probably transmission was primarily oral, as
 it presumably was before the only extant Roman cookbook was written.

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

Early  Medieval French wine
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/03/early-medieval-french-wine.html

In a message dated 4/4/2014 5:45:43 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,