[Sca-cooks] Sent Sovi Translation

Susan Lord Williams lordhunt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 14:25:49 PDT 2014

> Johnna  wrote:
>
>> There's a Review here that talks about the numbering.
>
> https://scholarworks.iu.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/2022/6564/09.05.02.html?sequence=1

Many thanks - very nice and all but it does not cut the mustard. It does not sort out for me which recipe of Vogelzang’s is the one in Senti Sovi. When I have been able to identify one, Vogelzang’s text is an abbreviation of the original recipe. I repeat that the Friedman/Perry and Carroll-Mann translations are the type of translations I would like to see for Sent Sovi - to do it justice. Writers like Gazquez have translated some of the recipes which are far more detailed than Vogelzang and I myself have ventured to translate a few with tongue in cheek and out of frustration.

If and when a good translation appears I would be most appreciative if I can be notified for I feel Sent Sovi is a vital link in the evolution from Al-Andalus cuisine to Catalan cuisine, subsequently to Italian and finally French. Without Sent Sovi this evolution cannot be followed.