[Sca-cooks] allergies

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Apr 17 18:28:01 PDT 2014

Most of that comes from a couple medical journal articles I read.
Unfortunately, most of the books and papers I have on Galen and humoral
theory are weighted toward foodstuffs.

Allergies, asthma, bronchitis, etc. are all respiratory problems with
similar symptoms that differ in degree.  Even if you don't know the
underlying cause, you can treat the symptoms.  Upper respiratory problems
were ascribed to phlegm which is cold and wet.  Sulphur is hot and dry.
Sulphur is also antiseptic.  When used to treat upper respiratory problems
sulphur is used as a fine powder mixed with a liquid or semi-liquid.  Storax
(benzoic resin) dissolved in wine or water and oxymel were probably used to
coat the throat to ease coughing up mucus.  Mucinex, whose primary
ingredient is guaifenesin, actually thins the mucus to make it easier to
cough up and with which I use coffee to lubricate the throat.

Bear