[Sca-cooks] Any references to peaches being used in period brewing?

Robin Carroll-Mann rcarrollmann at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 14:54:31 PDT 2014

Not connected with brewing, but I know of two "recipes" in the Spanish
corpus involving peaches and wine.  I believe I've posted them here.  In
the 15th c. carving manual by Enrique de Villena, he instructs the server
who is carving fresh peaches at table to dip each slice in white wine
before serving.  The purpose was humoural, if I recall correctly.

In the 16th c. Regalo de la Vida Humana by Juan Valles, he suggests soaking
dried peaches overnight in wine.

I have enjoyed the first at an event, and tested the second at home, and
found them very pleasant, and not tasting as strongly of wine as I might
have suspected.

Brighid ni Chiarain