[Sca-cooks] Any references to peaches being used in period brewing?

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 05:19:34 PDT 2014

On 4/24/2014 9:38 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
> Would the wine keep the peach from turning brown though?
>
> I thought the lemon juice worked because of it's acidity. In which case, vinegar would also work, but wouldn't be as tasty. :-(
>
> So would dipping peach or apple pieces in wine keep them from turning brown?
>
> I can see where dipping peaches in a sweet wine might increase the sweetness, though. Or perhaps a reduced-wine sauce.

Hm, that would mean that the wine would need to be pretty acid though. I
could have rob pick up some peaches on his way home tonight, we are
planning on cracking open a bottle of wine to go with some steaks and it
would be an interesting test. The idea of a reduced spiced wine sauce
sounds good, but where does it turn into a dish of spiced fruit [with or
without the poaching. Maybe we could make poached peaches in red wine
instead of the usual poached pears in red wine =) ]

---