[Sca-cooks] horseradish sauce

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Feb 17 21:27:45 PST 2014

Jim  Chevallier said:
<<< Ah. Don't think of mustard as a sauce so much as a condiment (going back to
the Romans). >>>

Hmmm. Where is your dividing line between a "sauce" and a "condiment"? The thickness? The amount generally used?

Some would say catsup was one or the other if you are talking about amount used. And some use it in quantities closer to a "soup". :-)

<<< Is there a horseradish sauce? Never ran into that. >>>

How do you eat your horseradish?

I've had horseradish sauces that were mostly chopped horseradish, but I prefer the ones that are mixed with something else to make it creamer, instead of chunky. However, either way, I still prefer it hot in taste.

A favorite dish of mine in hot, fried mushrooms with a horseradish sauce.  I used to be able to get an excellent dish of both at one of the national chain restaurants that has since shut down. I've seldom found it since then and it hasn't been as good. Unfortunately, the few times I do find fried mushrooms on the menu, they don't have a horseradish sauce.

horseradish-msg (60K) 1/28/09 Period use of horseradish. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/horseradish-msg.html

Oh, yes, in either this file or one of the candying ones, I have a period recipe for candied horseradish. When I made it, I wasn't that impressed. The recipe had you soak the chopped horseradish in water for multiple days before candying it and I found that it lost most of the spiciness. :-(

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris