[Sca-cooks] green sauces

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Tue Feb 18 08:12:39 PST 2014

Admittedly this Belgian version does use white wine (which would more
likely have been verjuice in the period), butter and garlic, which for this
sauce is a bit less period, and (instead of the strained toast or other
medieval  thickeners) some kind of commercial binding, but it's pretty much a
massive  attack of greens:

Chervil. spinach, cress, garlic, shallots, lemon, white wine, butter,
parsley, tarragon, salt and pepper, "instant binding for sauces"
http://www.gastronomie-wallonne.be/gastro/poissons/anguilles_vert2.html

So there are  nuances, but basically the sauce I had was like a thin puree
of  greens.

Jim  Chevallier
 (http://www.chezjim.com/) www.chezjim.com

Les Leftovers: sort of a food history  blog
leslefts.blogspot.com

In a message dated 2/18/2014 3:18:29 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,