[Sca-cooks] green sauces

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Tue Feb 18 03:18:20 PST 2014

Jim  Chevallier said:
<<< Still,  green sauce it was and probably not much different from what was

made in the  fourteenth century. >>>

I'm not sure I would say that. While green sauces are going to be a green
color and have an herb/plant/veggie taste, I would think they very quite a
lot depending upon what they are made of.

At least here in the southwest US many green sauces include peppers, which
were mostly unknown in Europe until well past the 14th century. They're also
usually much spicier than what I think of as medieval green sauces.

For some of the green sauces we've discussed previously see:
green-sauces-msg (24K) 2/ 5/12 Period green sauces. Sauces of green herbs.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/green-sauces-msg.html

Stefan
--------
I would agree with Stefan. In the modern(ish) English cookery tradition
green sauce is a white sauce (ie butter, flour, milk) with parsley (and
maybe other herbs) in it, which is quite a different thing from the
mediaeval green sauce.

Angharad

---