[Sca-cooks] What other sour seasonings are covered by German "essig"?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Feb 20 11:42:58 PST 2014

Giano replied to my question about vinegar vs. verjuice with:
<<< As to interpreting German recipes, it is important to keep in mind essig does not always mean vinegar at all, though. Any sour seasoning could be given that name. I assume in most cases it means vinegar, but I can't be sure, and there are cases where it clearly doesn't. >>>

So what other items besides vinegar and possibly verjuice might be meant by "essig"?

Probably not lemon or orange juice, since until very late they probably weren't that available in Germany.

Sour cream?

This is a good example of my comment on the problem of using translations to try to count the uses of vinegar vs. verjuice. :-). Sigh.

Thanks,
   Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com