[Sca-cooks] Cut-Off Date for Cookery Books?

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sat Feb 1 12:04:09 PST 2014

And so I tend to assume. But given that some very serious food history is
mixed in here with the rather playful concerns of the SCA, when we veer into
the  specific subjects not only of "Medieval" but the divisions within that
period,  it doesn't hurt to flag the difference.

I just had another reminder of how fine-tuned these could be in viewing an
early sixteenth century translation of Arnaud de Villeneuve that talked
about  "galentine sauce". For one intriguing moment, I actually thought that
the  thirteenth century Villeneuve had actually used that phrase. But it turns
out  the Latin original has "gelu in patina", that is, gelatine. Two to
three  centuries made a heap of difference. On the other hand, the later
translation  does seem to confirm that "galentine" was associated with food in
gelatine by  then.

Jim  Chevallier
 (http://www.chezjim.com/) www.chezjim.com

Les Leftovers: sort of a food history  blog
leslefts.blogspot.com

In a message dated 2/1/2014 5:26:42 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,