[Sca-cooks] Turkish delight

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sun Feb 2 00:03:14 PST 2014

>>This is what Europeans thought for centuries,
>>since outside of a few rare medieval recipes
>>wheat starch was not used in cooking. Hans
>>Dernschwam in 1553 called it "strong flour"
>>since there was no German word for it. In the
>>18th century wheat starch was known as "hair
>>powder", since its only use was for powdering
>>wigs. By the 19th it was used for stiffening
>>linen and eventually returned to uses in
>>cuisine.
>>
>>Urtatim (that's oor-tah-TEEM)
>

>This may be a questionable assertion about
>Dernschwamm.  The German word for starch is
>"Sta:rke." The German word for strong is
>"stark."  Both words derive from the Old High
>German "starchi."  Modernly, starch powder is
>"Sta:rkemehl"  and strong flour is "starkes
>Mehl."  Since the German of 1553 is not
>standardized, it may be difficult to determine
>precisely what is being stated.  1553 is also
>roughly 100 years after the noun starch comes
>into use in English.  Before I accept the
>assertion that there was no word for starch in
>German, I'd really like to see the evidence
>presented.
>
>BTW, the terms Amelmehl (emmer powder)  and
>Kraftmehl (strong or powerful powder) have also
>been used to refer dialectically to starch.
>Amelmehl is sometimes translated as amidon.
>
>Bear

Rumpolt uses "Krafftmehl" twice, which I translated as starch.
Grimm give one definition of "Kraffmehl" as amylum or starch.
While "Kraft" is "strong" or "strength"

Does Dernschwam use "kraftmehl" or "starkmehl"?

nim~ darnach ein Reißmehl/ oder ein Krafftmehl/
Then take a rice flour/ or a starch/

Nim~ krafftmehl/  Take starch/

Ranvaig