[Sca-cooks] Some very modern-sounding warnings about some very old food

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Mon Feb 10 18:37:06 PST 2014

On 2/10/2014 2:02 PM, JIMCHEVAL at aol.com wrote:
> Not in the least. She describes this food in modern nutritional terms,
> making no claim that anyone was aware of this at the time. That's what makes it
>   surprising to see someone from slightly later issue these very modern
> warnings.

I will quote YOUR QUOTE:

> In her overview of early Medieval food, Kathy  Pierson writes:
>
> "The lack of refrigeration meant that all communities  preserved meats
> through salting, smoking, or storing in fat. Fat could be used  to
> cook and
> preserve cuts of meat, sausages, and poultry in the same manner that
> comfits
> are still made in rural France. Both the meats and the fats could be
> used to
> add savor to stews and beans. Preservation would have enhanced
> sodium,  fat,
> or carcinogen levels in meats, depending on the method used."

So what exactly is being indicated here?

> I believe I've already cited her paper in the past.  Again:
>
> Nutrition and the Early-Medieval Diet
> Author(s): Kathy L.  Pearson
> Reviewed work(s):Source: Speculum, Vol. 72, No. 1 (Jan., 1997), pp.  1-32
>
> Published by: Medieval Academy of America
> Stable URL:  http://www.jstor.org/stable/2865862 .

You really need to drop a citation whenever you introduce it into a new
conversation. I don't recall mention of it being made before, and you
started a new thread...

Liutgard

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our
abilities." -Albus Dumbledore ~~~Follow my Queenly perambulations at: