[Sca-cooks] Citations and Sources was Some very modern-sounding warnings about some very old food

Sandra J. Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Tue Feb 11 09:18:30 PST 2014

>>When the conversation started yesterday with the words "In her overview of early Medieval food, Kathy  Pierson writes:....," I am sure  several readers responded by saying "Kathy who?"

With the archive at hand, we can of course do keyword searching and locate the fact that you mentioned Kathy Pearson back on June 8th, 2013, but that was several months ago. Pearson is not a household name on this list. The only time she had been mentioned was in that June post.

 We have several sources that we abbreviate (medieval cookery.com, godecookery, Florilegium, FoC, Menagier, Concordance, EEBO, OED, etc) and people that we cite by last name (Hieatt, Scully, Brears, Ivan Day), but not Pearson and not Pearson's 1997 JSTOR article.

One reason why it's important to cite the sources and re-cite them as necessary these days is that this list is now a source of conversation and referenced over on Facebook and other lists. It's been pointed out that most of the food conversations now take place on Facebook and not  this list in fact. <<

This is all the more important because some of us don't have Facebook accounts, so we can be doubly-lost if incomplete information is posted here.

Sandra