[Sca-cooks] Surviving medieval sauces?

David Walddon david at vastrepast.com
Mon Feb 17 11:01:19 PST 2014

I still think you have not defined "sauce".
Do you mean something that is poured over meat?
Something that is served with meat?
Something that is meat is cooked in?
In the Italian corpus (from the early and late periods) mustard is referred to as a sauce.
Modern condiments could be considered a sauce depending on your definition.
Is ketchup a sauce or a condiment?
And the word sauce could change in definition depending on where and when we are talking about.
Also is there a medieval definition of sauce?
Mustard is also used as a flavoring in several "sauces" in Martino (check out the sauce for Pesce Cane where both Agliata and Mustard are used to create an entirely different "sauce" for dog fish).

Eduardo