[Sca-cooks] Surviving medieval sauces?

Euriol of Lothian euriol at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 17 11:59:55 PST 2014

Condiment was in use in the medieval period along with sauce.

You can see the evidence in works like A Middle-English Dictionary: Containing Words Used by English Writers from the Twelfth to the Fifteenth Century. Also if you look at some of the original manuscripts which discuss sauces.

Specific examples I can share are from  Ein Büch von Güter Speise, 14th century

"Ein condimente
Mal kuͤmel vnd enys mit pfeffer vnd mit essige vnd mit honige vnd machs gel mit saffran vnd thu darzcu senff In disem condimente machtu sulcze petersilien Piren vnd clein kumpost oder ruben was du wilt."

Libellus de Arte Coquinaria a comparative analysis of 4 manuscripts, dating from the 13th century, collection of 35 recipes in three languages... Danish, Icelandic, & Low German.

Quomodo temperetur salsum dominorum et quamdiu durat.

Man skal takæ gørfærs naghlæ, oc Muscat, cardemomum, pipær, cinamomum thæt ær kaniæl, oc ingifær, allæ iæfn wæghnæ, tho swa at kaniæl ær æm mykæt sum allæ hinæ andræ; oc slyk tu stekt brøth sum allæ hinæ andræ, oc støtæ them allæ samæ, oc malæ mæth stæk ædykæ oc latæ I en læghæl. Thæt ær hærræ salsæ, oc ær goth et halft aar.

Cookery Book II Harleian MS. 4016, ab. 1450 A.D

Sauce gamelyne. : Take faire brede, and kutte it, and take vinegre and wyne, & stepe the brede therein. and drawe hit thorgh a streynour with powder of canel, and drawe hit twies or thries til hit be smoth; and then take pouder of ginger, Sugur, and pouder of cloues, and cast thereto a lilul saffron and lege hig be thik ynogh, and thenne serue hit forthe.

Libre Del Coch, Mestre Robert, cook to ‘don Ferrando de Napols’ Catalan, 15th century.

Salçero para Perdius o Gallines en Ast
Ametles belles e blanques pendràs e picar-les has bé en un morter. E quant sien ben picades, destempra-les ab suc de magranes agres. E après met in lo morter sucre polvorizat, canyella e gingembre, perquè la sua color e sabor vol tirar casi canyella. E no la cal passar per nengun cedàç. E vet así tot fet.

I think this clearly shows the use of the terms in a variety of the European areas of the time period.

Euriol