[Sca-cooks] Surviving medieval sauces?

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Feb 17 15:48:11 PST 2014

>The fact that it is cooked with the food is more
>important than what type of food it is cooked
>with (Sauce Bearnaise on asparagus).

Are you trying to say that a "sauce" is always
cooked with the food?  Both in medieval and in
the modern corpus, there are sauces that are not
cooked with the dish but added when it is served.

Even your example Sauce Bearnaise is usually
cooked then poured on cooked asparagus when it is
plated.

If you are saying that a condiment is served in a
separate dish, but a sauce is served on the plate
with the food, I think there are exceptions to
that too.

Rumpolt for example has a whole chapter of things
that are served with the roast "Von allerley
Zugehörung zum Braten/ eynzutuncken", for people
to use as they like.  Some are sauces, some are
not.

Cherry sauce, turnips in mustard, beets in
horseradish, roasted red cabbage in vinegar, sour
orange juice with sugar and cinnamon, slices of
citron or lemon or orange, green parsley sauce
with vinegar and thickened with bread, pears in
sweet mustard, spiced mustard mixed with wine,
rose petal wine sauce, brown mustard with
vinegar,  sauce with new walnuts and almonds
ground with broth and garlic, green sauce from
sprouted grain or from sorrel or watercress,
pomegranate with sugar, olives, capers with
vinegar and olive oil, cream cooked to make a
thickened layer.  Many recipes say to serve "mit
seiner zugehörung" with its accompaniments.

Ranvaig