[Sca-cooks] Surviving medieval sauces?

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Mon Feb 17 18:45:20 PST 2014

I've been watching The Tudor Monastery Farm on YouTube again.  When she catches the eels and starts to get them ready to cut unto gobbets (her words) she slathers them with salt to rid them of the Slime.  Having had a father and brothers who went fishing almost every weekend with mother and I as minions (except for the "you caught/killed it, you gut it").  Freshly caught trout definitely were slippery!

I highly recommend this YouTube series.  The three stars are professional scholars/re-enactors.  This isn't The Victorian House or anything like it.  These people know what they are doing and they do the worth themselves in fabulous costume.  Remembering these are peasants of the better sort and it is way before Henry VIII's destruction of England's ecclesiastical artistic heritage.

You won't Regret seeing this even if Tudor isn't your thing.

Regina

Sent from my iPad