[Sca-cooks] Was vinegar or verjuice most used in sauces?

Galefridus Peregrinus galefridus at optimum.net
Thu Feb 20 08:09:57 PST 2014

Both verjuice and vinegar were common souring agents in the medieval
Islamic kitchen. I'm at work, so I can't do the whole statistical
analysis thing, but they loved their sweet and sour dishes, using the
juice or pulp of lemon, bitter orange, pomegranate, citron, and several
varieties of vinegar (al-Warraq gives a number of recipes for preparing
different kinds of vinegar). Verjuice/sour grapes are still part of
Middle Eastern cookery -- my local Syrian market sells bottled verjuice
at about 1/6 the cost of the fancy gourmet stuff (about $6 a quart), and
I've bought fresh sour grapes from them (available late summer/early
fall) and made my own.

-- Galefridus