[Sca-cooks] Was vinegar or verjuice most used in sauces?

Donna Green donnaegreen at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 20 08:31:38 PST 2014

In answer to Stefan's question ... the late period Iberian sources are as follows:

Diego Granado, Libro del Arte de Cozina, 1599
Translation by Mistress Brighid ni Chiarain (Robin Carroll-Mann)
Based on the 25 translated recipes from this source when I did my ingredient analysis
 Souring Agents 10
wine 4
Malvasia 1
vinegar 1
verjuice 2
orange juice 2

Manual de Mugeres
Translations by Mistress Brighid ni Chiarain (Robin Carroll-Mann) and various people on the Medieval_Spain list
The 29 food recipes are dealt with in this analysis
  Souring Agents 4
sour grape juice 1
sour pomegranates 1
Wine 2
  wine 1
  white wine 1

Um Tratado Da Cozinha Portuguesa Do Seculo XV
A Text on Portuguese Cooking from the Fifteenth Century
Translated by Baroness Faerisa Gwynarden
  Souring Agents 11
vinegar 6
lemon juice 2
unripe grape juice 1
verjuice or lemon juice 1
white wine 1

Libre del Coch
Translation by Mistress Brighid ni Chiarain (Robin Carroll-Mann)
This analysis is based on 243 translated recipes
  Souring Agents 170
Vinegars 72			30%
  vinegar 40
  vinegar, white 28
  vinegar, rose 2
  vinegar, red 1
  vinegar, strong 1
Citrus Juice 42			17%
  orange juice 37
  orange juice or other sour stuff 1
  orange juice or white vinegar 1
  verjuice or orange juice 1
  lemon juice 2
Wine 21				9%
  wine, red 7
  wine, white 5
  wine, sweet white 3
  wine 2
  malmsey or wine of San Martin 1
  must of wine red or white 1
  wine, sweet 1
  wine, red or white 1
Pomegranates 13
  sour pomegranate juice 4
  sour pomegranate seeds 3
  pomegranate juice 1
  pomegranate seed 1
  sour pomegranate wine 1
  sweet pomegranate seeds 1
  semi-sweet pomegranate juice 1
  white pomegranate juice 1
verjuice 16
(juice of ?) sweet white grapes 1
unripe grape juice 2
"sour stuff" 2
something sour 1

Domingo Hernandez de Maceras
HYPERLINK "http://www.bestwebbuys.com/Libro_Del_Arte_De_Cozina-ISBN_8474814545.html?isrc=b-search"
Libro Del Arte De Cozina
  Souring Agents 8
Vinegar 4
white wine 2
verjuice 1
orange juice 1

Francisco Martinez Montino
Arte de Cocina, Pasteleria, Vizchocheria y Conserveria (1611)
  Souring Agents 6
Wine 2
Vinegar 2
verjuice 1