[Sca-cooks] Interesting article-

TerryDecker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Feb 20 21:19:54 PST 2014

Three keels do not a hoard make, but an estimated 120 to 200 Saxon warriors
make a nasty mercenary unit.  And the Saxons were probably settling in
England before Hengst and Horsa hired out to Vortigern.

Rather than a massive invasion or a peaceful migration, I'm more of the
raid, trade, settlement, political intrigue, war and conquest school,
beginning in the 3rd Century culminating in the Saxon Kingdoms of Southeast
England in the 6th Century.  The find in Oxfordshire is roughly contemporary
to Gildas, who is the contemporary source for the conquest theory.  It is
also contemporaneous to the second migration of Britons into Brittany from
Western England which suggests military rather than social pressure.  "A
small band of elites" in the Saxon social structure of the day, would have
been an ealdorman and his edhilingui (essentially the baron and his knights)
supported by Saxon yeomen and slaves.  And once you are on top of the heap,
your ways are likely to be adopted.

Bear