[Sca-cooks] Surviving medieval sauces?

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sat Feb 22 20:51:07 PST 2014

>Dear Eduardo, could you steer me to some references please?
>
>>There are a lots of recipes for horseradish
>>preparations and sauces in the German Corpus.
>>Eduardo

I'm not Eduardo, but my usual Rumpolt report:
Rumpolt uses two names for Horseradish.  From
Gernot Katzer's Spice Pages: German has two words
for horseradish: Meerrettich is preferred in the
North, while Southern Germans and Austrians
usually call it Kren.

From the menus:
A Beluga sturgeon cooked in its own broth/ and
parsley root/ and also grated horseradish thrown
over it/
A roasted wild goose/ and grated horseradish under it.
Fried perch/ in a horseradish (sauce).
A boiled beef with horseradish.
Cooked beef/ and a capon and dried meat/ all
dressed in a dish/ and a horseradish (sauce?)
poured over.
With the roasts one can dress red beets made with
horseradish/ as one makes in Bavaria.

Ochsen 17. A tongue cooked with horseradish.
Scrape the horseradish clean/ and cut it very
clean/ put a few almonds to to it/ and grate it
together in a shredder. Put it into a (clay) pot
or tinned fish boiler/ and let the horseradish
come to a boil with a good hen or beef broth/
then it becomes white/ and put beef fat into it/
so it tastes well of it.
And when the tongue is cooked and cleaned off/
then cut them apart/ and put them into the beef
broth/ so it stays warm. And when you will dress
it/ then dress the horseradish first/ lay the
tongues into it/ and baste with a beef fat/ and
do not over salt it/ then it is elegant/ good and
well tasting.

Ochsen 45.  Roast a beef roast/ and when it is
roasted/ then put horseradish/ that is pounded or
grated/ and dissolved with beef  broth/ then it
is a good dish/ and costs not much.

Ochsen 63. A piece of Beef prepared with
horseradish/ as is previously described/ how one
should make it.

Schweinen 6. To prepare the breast from the wild
pig. ... also with pounded horseradish/ mixed
with a beef broth.  Because it is good to cook in
many manners/ especially when a cook will apply
diligence.

Schweinen 17.  Blood sausage from a wild pig.
When a wild pig is not mortally wounded/ or when
one catches it living/ that one can stab it to
death/ like a domestic pig/ then take the blood
(It sounds pretty dangerous to bleed out a wild
pig!)/ and stir it well/ cut bacon into it/ take
a pair weck bread (two loaves)/ cut them/ or
grate them on the grater/ soften them in a milk/
pour with the other in the blood/ put pepper/
ginger/ and mace into it/ and see/ that you do
not over salt it/ then the sausages become soft
and good/ that are made with the milk and the
bread.  Then take a clean rice/ that is nicely
parboiled and picked over.  Thus the Bohemian
farmers make it with barley and buckwheat/ it is
good in various manners/ when one stuffs and
parboils them in a water/ then one lays them on a
clean straw/ and lets them lay over night/ then
one cook them after that/ as one will have them.
When they are cooked to the place (until done)
then one gives pounded horseradish with it/ made
with a good beef broth.  The Bohemian farmers
love to eat it like this.

Ganß 19.  To cook a goose.  Item/ to roast with horseradish.

Kappaun 29. Take the blood from a capon/ .... /
take with it horseradish that is well grated/ and
mixed well with a good beef broth/ given warm
under the crop/ like this it will be good and
well tasting.

Kappaun 31.  You may also give horseradish over a
capon/ be it roasted or boiled/ like this it is
elegant and good.  Take almonds/ and pound them
with garlic/ then mix it with a good chicken
broth/ and then pour over the roasted capon/ that
is nicely plump/ like this it is a good lordly
dish/ especially for the Hungarian lords.

Hausen 2. Beluga sturgeon made in clear broth.
When the sturgeon is fresh/ then set it to (the
fire) in a water/ and put a little salt in it/
and skim it nicely clean/ slice parsley root and
whole mace into it/ and let simmer together/ like
this it becomes well tasting and good/ and when
you want to dress it/ then throw in crushed
horseradish/ dissolve with the broth/ and pour
over the sturgeon. ...

Sälmling 10.  Roasted young salmon with crushed
horseradish.  Grate the horseradish with almonds/
dissolve it in a pea broth and wine vinegar/ put
fresh butter/ that is unclarified/ and a little
cream/ set on coals/ and let become warm/ until
the  butter melts.
When you will dress/ then salt it first/ yet not
too much/ like this the horseradish stays nicely
white/ like this you can give it over the baked
young salmon/ sent nicely warm on the table/ like
this it is good. You can also crush almonds with
garlic/ dissolve with a pea broth/ and can give
it warm like the horseradish/ put it under the
baked fish/ as it is good in both manners.  You
can also make it of nuts and garlic.

Hecht 14. Baked (or fried) pike in horseradish.
Take horseradish/ and shelled almonds/ grate or
crush them/ dissolve them with wine vinegar and
pea broth/ put a little milk and May butter in
it/ let become only warm with it/ also put a
little salt in it/ then you can give it under the
baked (fried) fish/ or over it.  However if you
want to cook for a Hungarian gentleman/ then you
must take garlic with it/ or new nuts (walnuts??)
that are nicely shelled/ and are white/ crushed
with the garlic/ and dissolved with a pea broth/
poured under or over the baked fish/ it is good
in both manners.

Karauschken 2.  Fried carp with horseradish.

Zindel 2.  You can also take the zindel (a type
of fish) to fry/ and given with pepper (sauce) or
horseradish.

Zugehörung 3. Red beets made in (a sauce) with
little slices of horseradish/ anise/ coriander/
and a little caraway/ particularly when the beets
are cut up/ boiled with half wine and half
vinegar.

Zugehörung 4. Take a red head cabbage/ throw into
a hot oven/ that one has baked bread in/ when it
is fully steamed/ then pull it out/ and let
become cold/ cut the burned away/ cut in fourths/
and put it in a pot or in a cask/ put a little
fennel between/ pour half wine and half vinegar
over it/ also cut red beets/ that cooked earlier/
and are cold/ into it/ put a little grated
Horseradish under it/ like this it is good and
well tasting.

Essig zu machen
When one puts dried powdered horseradish root in vinegar/ soon makes it sharp.

Ranvaig