[Sca-cooks] ground horseradish root

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Feb 24 20:31:48 PST 2014

<<< We have it in Sweden, it's called "pepparrot" and it's just that, the root
of the horseradish, it's grows wild almost everywhere.
Ana >>>

Yes, that refers to just horseradish root, right? I do have some period recipes that use horseradish root, including in sauces, in the Florilegium. And thanks to those on this list, today I have some more to add. :-)

However, my question was on finding *powdered* or ground horseradish root. I've only seen it in jars, I think pickled in vinegar or fresh. I'm imagining a jar of a powder.  Okay, unlikely you say? Well, I'm now seeing jars of powdered peanut butter! No oils I guess, so you lose something, but it is being sold.

I have wondered how horseradish got the "horse" prefix and wondered if that allusion to horses was in other languages or not. Sometimes a horse allusion mentions horse eat something, but people don't. People do eat horseradish, but not straight. I also remember big, green horse apples from my youth but those aren't eaten.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris